Sunday, April 18, 2010

Iwo Jima breast cancer awareness and family tribute tattoo.





This young man wanted to ink a tribute to his mother (who is a breast cancer survivor) and to his siblings and thought a great whimsical way to do that would be to have little toy green army men raising a pink, battle worn breast cancer ribbon Iwo Jima style! How cool is that? Anyway, you can see here the first and the final sessions. I'm quite pleased with the final result and I'm pretty sure he is too! His sister (who came from out of state to watch the final session) seemed suprised to learn that quality tattoo work could be found in such a small, out of the way town like Greenbrier, Tennessee!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I'm always amazed by how intricate and artful tattoos can be. What a great story behind this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment; I really enjoyed doing this one and hearing his story! He and his sister relayed to me that cancer is really taking a toll on their family. It certainly seems that cancer is more prevalent now than when I was a kid. Back then you heard more about heart attacks...cancer was rarely heard of. Now, it seems like I'm always hearing about cancer related deaths and diagnoses. My mom just had surgery to remove a tumor from her lung! Luckily, they found it early and were able to remove it!

    ReplyDelete